Going on a street ramble is one of the best ways to get an introduction to the Mazama hiking program, meet other hikers and maybe plan a weekend trip, maintain your fitness after work and see some hidden parts of Portland you might never get to otherwise. Come join us for this always popular hike series.
Street Rambles - Quick Facts
- Rambles, like all Mazama activities, are open to members and non-members. Non-Mazamas are especially encouraged to join these hikes.
- Cost: $2.00 for members and non-members, ages 14 thru 55. Under 14 or over 55 is $1.00.
- Meeting spot: Rambles leave from the REI garage (NW 15th and Johnson in the Pearl district).
- Dates: every Tuesday and Thursday, rain or shine, year ‘round (except major holidays).
- Number of people: On a rainy January, maybe 10-15. On a sunny summer evening, maybe 80+!
- Time: Rambles leave at 6:00 pm sharp, so please try to arrive 15 minutes early so you are sure to catch the group. Don’t be late! Rambles go out for two hours.
- Cancellations: If Portland Public Schools close due to inclement weather, we don’t hike.
In the drier months, rambles typically head to Washington Park, the Zoo, Pittock Mansion, Arboretum or Forest Park.
During the less than dry times, we stay more on the pavement.
Running shoes are fine for summer - in wetter weather, some more waterproof footwear might be better. Bring clothing appropriate for the season, a flashlight or headlamp for winter, and at least a quart of water.
Pace and distance
Typically, there are more hikers on Tuesdays than on Thursdays.
On Tuesdays, we usually have three to five groups that are split into groups of leisurely, moderate and fast paced hiking. On Thursdays, we typically have two to four groups.
- The leisurely (or less than moderate) group is geared to hikers wishing a gentle trek providing exercise without a fast pace (and those just starting out). It rarely has more than 500 feet of elevation gain and goes 4 to 5 miles.
- The moderate group(s) goes at a faster pace with more distance and elevation gain. A common ‘moderate’ destination is a hike with 800 feet gain and six miles round trip distance in two hours.
- The fast group goes, well, pretty fast. Hikers must be in good shape to join this group.
Every Wednesday - East Side Ramble to Mount Tabor from Mazama Mountaineering Center 43rd/Stark.
Walk at a brisk pace (2.5-3.0 mi/hr) through the streets, admiring the gardens of SE Portland up to Mt. Tabor Park. We may even catch a glimpse of a heritage tree. Once in the park we will take alternating trails to the top of the park up to the top of the #280 stairs at the NE corner of the park. From there we will have 30 minutes to walk up and down the stairs then finish with a moderate stroll back to the MMC. Great training for climbing or backpacking this summer. Total mileage 6 miles (not including stairs climbed up/down). Elevation gain approx. 600 ft. Starts promptly at 6 pm. Total time 2 hours. Leader: Meg Linza, (503) 502-8782.