Clear out your gear room! Make way for more! It’s time for the Mazamas Annual Used Equipment Sale!
THE 2013 USED EQUIPMENT SALE—FRIDAY, MARCH 15th See details below
Location: Mazama Mountaineering Center (Click here for a Map to the MMC)
Gear drop off: Thursday, March 14, 4:00 - 8:00 pm
Sale: members & students in climbing classes: Friday March 15, 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Sale: general public: Friday March 15, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Gear pick up: Saturday March 16, 3:00 - 7:00 pm Any gear remaining after 7 pm on Saturday becomes property of Mazamas.
The Mazamas holds the Used Equipment Sale each year. Sellers can make some money by letting go of unused gear and buyers can get great deals on field-tested equipment. The Sale will be held at the Mazama Mountaineering Center. Nordic and telemark ski gear, snowshoes, all kinds of outdoor clothing, assorted (and we do mean assorted!) camping and backpacking gear, shoes and boots, books and technical climbing gear will all be available. This is a great chance to clean out your gear room of unneeded stuff, make a buck, help out the Mazamas and find some great deals yourself.
As in the past couple of years, we intend to have retail vendors at the Sale. They will bring new, discounted and blemished items for quick sale. If the last few years are any indication, the prices are very, very low and well worth checking out. These products complement the great deals you can get on the used gear.
Small print: The Used Equipment Sale is held as a fundraiser by the Mazama Trail Trips Committee. 30% of the price of any item sold is retained by Mazamas. Thank you for supporting the Mazamas!
- The equipment sale is open to the public; members and nonmembers may buy and/or sell items under the terms listed below.
- There is no entrance fee for the sale.
- If you want the best deals, arrive as early as possible on Friday - only 200 people will be allowed on the floor at any one time due to fire safety regulations. In previous years, people started to arrive over an hour early!
- Cash, personal check and Visa / MasterCard are accepted.
- Professional buyers will not be allowed onto the floor during the first hour.
Information for Sellers
- All items offered for sale should be associated with Mazama activities, including mountaineering, climbing, hiking, backpacking, cross country skiing and snow-shoeing. Downhill ski and water sport equipment will not be accepted. Limited kayaks and canoes will be accepted on a space-available basis. Also limited cycling (e.g., helmets, clothing but no bikes) and car-rack system equipment will be accepted on a space-available basis. All equipment should be in good working order, clean and usable.
- Check-In is Thursday 4:00 - 8:00 pm at the Mazama Mountaineering Center (527 SE 43rd Avenue.) No items to be sold will be accepted on the day of the sale.
- Decide, in advance, what price you wish to charge for each item. Low prices generally result in successful sales. You determine the price, but Mazama staff can, during Check-In, advise you.
- Prepare a separate tag for each item to be sold. Obtain, from Mazamas - you can do this in advance, only as many tags as you can use. Fill out the tags completely with your name (required if you are to receive credit for the sale), item, description, price and size (if applicable). Affix the tags to the items.
- Obtain, from Mazamas, a Tally Sheet Complete the information at the top of the Sheet, then list all items separately and by tag number. Include all information requested (name, accurate address, tag numbers, item description, sales price). Note whether you wish to have unsold items donated to charity. Leave the Tally Sheet with Mazama sales personnel during Check-In. [Tally Sheet in Excel] [Tally Sheet in Word]
- It is the sole responsibility of the Seller to determine whether they need to come in to pick up unsold items. The Seller may call Mazamas, after the sale, at 503-227-2345 to inquire if they have any unsold items. The Seller must, during Check-In, make prior arrangements with Mazamas if they can not pick items up at the times designated above. Items not picked up will become the property of the Mazamas and will be donated to charity.
Terms of Consignment Sale
- All items should be in good working order, be clean and usable. They are, however, sold “as is”, and Purchaser assumes all risks of use; there are no implied or expressed warranties from Mazamas associated with the performance of sold items. The Mazamas reserves the right to refuse any equipment deemed unacceptable and further to withdraw equipment later found unacceptable
- It is the responsibility of the Seller to pick-up any unsold items; failure to do so will result in the items being donated to charity.
- Mazamas will retain thirty percent (30%) of the sale price of each item sold.
- Sellers will receive seventy percent (70%) of the price of each item sold, but must have a minimum of $7 in total sales to receive a minimum payment of $5.00 from Mazamas. If the total value of items actually sold is less than $7 then all items and/or sale proceeds will be considered gifts to Mazamas.
- Mazamas will not pay for any unsold items which are not able to be located.
- Payment for items sold will be by check only, and will be mailed to the Seller approximately two (2) weeks after the sale. Checks cannot be picked up at the Mazama Mountaineering Center.
Please contact the Mazamas if you need more information on this event.
Interested in volunteering for the sale? Volunteer for the 2013 Sale